The six-year programme ‘Forages for Reduced Nitrate Leaching’ aims to reduce nitrate leaching losses by 20 percent by delivering proven, adoptable and profitable pasture and forage crop options.
Through research Dairy NZ wants to provide farmers with ways to:
- Reduce livestock urinary N excretion.
- Sustain high levels of feed and animal production.
- Hold more N in soil and reduce the amount of potentially leachable N.
- Maximise yield and N use efficiency in forage crops.
- Provide solutions that can be readily integrated into dairy, arable, beef/sheep or mixed farming systems.